Trade Industry and Local Development
- The mandate of the trade, industry and cooperatives sector is derived from the constitution of the Republic of Uganda (1995 –Article 189, Six schedule sections 11, 12, 13, 20, 23, 25 and 29) as follows:
- “ To formulate, review and support policies, strategies, plans and programs that promote and ensure expansion and diversification of trade, cooperatives, environmentally sustainable industrialisation, appropriate technology development and transfer to generate wealth for poverty eradication and benefit the country socially and economically”
- Coordination Office
- Trade and Industry
- Promoting organisation and formation of cooperatives, financial resources pooling and conducive investment environment in the district.
- Supporting interpretation, implementation and enforcement of policies, laws and regulations on tourism, trade, industry, marketing and cooperatives
- Providing technical advice and guidance on the development of commercial, industrial, cooperatives and related investments in the sub sector.
- Collecting, analysing and disseminating information on investment opportunities in the district.
- Monitoring, evaluating and reporting on commercial, industrial and cooperatives related activity in the district.
- Facilitating and licensing investors to operate in the district
- Providing technical guidance and support to entrepreneurs and the community.
Department Policy Issues
- LED policy
- Trade policy
- Micro small and medium enterprises policy
- National trade policy for export.
- Cooperatives policies like credit policy, accounting policies, human resource policy, IT policy and arbitration policy.